Based on the principles of oriental medicine, acupuncture works by stimulating and promoting the body’s inherent healing abilities. Acupuncture is effective in treating many common ailments.
Modern science is beginning to verify what acupuncturists have known for thousand of years, that acupuncture regulates the nervous system, the hormonal (endocrine) system as well as boosting the immune system and bringing them back into balance. Increasingly, acupuncture is recognized as a complementary therapy to augment Western medical practices.
Hair thin needles are used on different parts of the body to reestablish the flow of energy, relieve emotional and physical stagnation, and stimulate the immune and endocrine systems.
Does acupuncture hurt?
No, acupuncture rarely hurts. You might feel a momentary prick when the needle goes in, which soon turns into a dull pressure or tingling around the area during the treatment. Most people are amazed by how relaxed they feel during and after the treatment. This can only occur if the treatment is comfortable and gentle.
Is acupuncture safe?
As long as it is performed by a competent practitioner, acupuncture is extremely safe. Acupuncturists are required to use disposable needles that are discarded after one use.
What conditions are treated with acupuncture?
The World Health Organization lists more than 40 conditions for which acupuncture is appropriate therapy:
- Digestive Conditions: abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, hyperacidity and indigestion
- Emotional Conditions: anxiety, depression, insomnia, nervousness and neurosis
- Eye-Ear-Nose-Throat Conditions: cataracts, gingivitis, poor vision, tinnitus and toothache
- Gynecological Conditions: infertility, menopausal symptoms and premenstrual syndrome
- Musculoskeletal Conditions: arthritis, back pain, muscle cramping, muscle pain/weakness, neck pain, sciatica
- Neurological Conditions: headaches, neurogenic bladder dysfunction, Parkinsonís disease, postoperative pain and stroke
- Respiratory Conditions: asthma, bronchitis, common cold, sinusitis, smoking cessation and tonsilitis
- Miscellaneous Conditions: addiction control, athletic performance, blood pressure regulation, chronic fatigue, immune system tonification and stress reduction